The Broomstick-man (L) and Knife-man (top R) face-off
by Dee McLachlan
If you watched the ABC news on Sunday night, you would have heard the news reader say — while images of the 9-11 attacks played on the screen:
“The prime minister says that the Minto episode has similarities to another attack that happened 15 years ago today.”
15 years ago — two planes caused three buildings to “collapse” — killing about 3,000 people.
In the Minto episode, a young man, apparently suffering from schizophrenia, attacked a neighbour with a knife — and was stopped by another neighbour with a broomstick. How can the prime minister or the ABC compare these events. Please!!! And did the ABC misquote the prime minister?
The report continued, cutting to Prime Minister Malcolm Turnbull, who said:
“It’s critical that we continue to respond in as an agile a fashion as our enemies seek to attack us”
Today the papers are plastered with… “The New Face of Terrorism.”
The Minto Affair
This is what we have been told so far:
- 22-year-old Ihsas Khan stabbed Wayne Greenhalg, 59, on Saturday. They both live in Ohlfsen Road — off Minto Street.
- A neighbour, Sivei Ah Chong, 43, chased and hit Khan on the back of the head with a broomstick to ward off the attack.
- Greenhalgh’s wife said Khan had approached them earlier in the day with a Koran in his hand.
- Khan had come to the attention of police before, but was not on a terrorism watch list.
- Police had been called on two occasions when Khan abused or threatened people for their non-Islamic behaviour.
- Khan was also charged with maliciously damaging property when he destroyed an Australian flag in 2013. The matter was dealt with under the Mental Health Act.
- Khan was not connected to any terror groups.
- Another resident on Ohlfsen Road said Khan had stood outside her home yelling at her in Arabic.
- Police said he has serious mental health issues including schizophrenia.
- Police found an electronic copy of Islamic State’s magazine Dabiq and evidence he had been searching for extremist YouTube videos.
- Khan (in a police interview) allegedy said that he knew the leader of Islamic State and believed he was justified in killing people to protect and exact revenge for Sunni Muslims.
- Khan had told police he was inspired by the shooting death of NSW police employee Curtis Cheng and wanted to make a ‘martyr of himself’.
- The attack came one week after Islamic State called for ‘lone wolf’ attacks on major tourist attractions in Australia.
- 7 News understands neighbours had contacted the anti-terrorism hotline about Khan in the past.
- Khan was refused bail in court on Sunday, he has been charged with committing a terrorist act and attempted murder.
- Khan was once an academically gifted student on the high achievers’ list at Hurlstone Agricultural High School.
- Another resident said she saw Khan at 1 am pushing a wheel and axle up and down the road continuously a few days ago.
- Khan had allegedly posted extremist messages in public forums, including “We will never meet Allah on the Day of Judgement without going till [sic] death, torture, slaughter to save our innocent precious Muslimah sister.”
- The incident happened to be caught on two CCTV cameras from inside and outside a Minto hair salon where the victim sought refuge (here).
The response so far:
Justice Minister Michael Keenan has urged Australian communities to be alert to people whose behaviour has changed and may be “problematic”. Deputy Commissioner Catherine Burn said:
“There is an individual who is known to police for some matters and… for whatever reason becomes inspired to act…
“This is the new face of terrorism.”
More Terror-ble Legislation Required — Obviously!
Herald Sun splash, 12/9/16
The Australian government plans to introduce even tougher anti-terror laws. The ABC reports today:
“…the Turnbull Government will introduce legislation to allow for control orders to be placed on teenagers as young as 14.
“A separate Bill will keep convicted terrorists in jail even after they have served their sentences if they are deemed to pose an ongoing risk to the community.”
The Bella Vista Affair
Some of you will remember my article entitled, “An Unremarkable Incident And The Passing Of Deplorable Legislation” — on the Bella Vista Affair.
25th September (2014). Thursday morning at 6.30 am. A member of the Australian Defence Force (ADF)… was threatened and assaulted by two men of Middle Eastern appearance while wearing his full uniform at Bella Vista, Sydney. They threatened to cut his throat (Channel Nine News).
ADF personnel are warned to be careful when wearing their uniform in public following the Bella Vista incident.
Later than night Terror laws clear Senate, enabling entire Australian web to be monitored, and for whistleblowers, journalists, and bloggers to be jailed for 10 years if they disclose information about a special intelligence operation.
Then… 26th September… the officer/sailor withdraws the assault claim.
A pattern all too familiar.
WHACK — Broomstick-man lashes out at psycho knife-man — saving Australia
Adapted Photos - Current Affair